Thursday, July 12, 2012

58) BOSNIA TWENTY YEARS LATER A STORY OF SARAJEVO


1) Do you remember where were you when you realized the war was imminent?
I remember very well when few days before Bosnian war broke out I was sitting in a
coffee shop with my friends. Of course, like everybody else in that time, we were talking
about politics and possible war that was coming to Bosnia-Herzegovina. When we left that coffee shop through my head passed thought “there is not chance that the war does not happen”. I felt so helpless.
 2) Do you remember where you were when the war broke out?
Of course, there are not too many wars in people's lifetime. I was step away from my
Mechanical engineering diploma in Sarajevo when war broke out in Bosnia.
 3) Where were you when the war came to your town?
I was at my apartment in Sarajevo. Confused and scared like everybody else.
 4) The most memorable event of the war for you was?
Unfortunately, many events were memorable in bad sense, but day when I lost my
Best friend Samir was the most memorable event of the war for me.
5) What made you hopeless during the war?
Better question would be what didn't make me hopeless during the war. It would be
Easier question to answer then this one. Almost everything was making me hopeless during the war, really.
 6) What gave you hope during the war?
When war just started my hope was international community. Later even that hope I lost.
 7) Did you lose anyone close to you during the war?
Of course, unfortunately. Many close people including my best friend.
 Were you wounded during the war? Where were you wounded?
No, I wasn't. At least when we talk about physical wound. Other kind of wounds I think all of us had.
9) Your biggest loss during the war was?
Biggest loss are, of course, people I knew and I loved. People who unnecessarily died
during the war.
 10) What was the hardest part about the war?
All parts of the war are hardest parts, because there is nothing normal or easy about war.
Especially in this kind of dirty war like we had in our country.
 11) Did you leave the country during the war?
After 2 years of the war I left the country.
 12) 20 years later, what do you think of what happened?
I think all of us know what happened. I wouldn't go with further explanation.
 13) Are things better or worse than what you expected 20 years later?
Some things are better, but some things are worse than I was expecting. Still, peace is
better then war in any case.
 14) Do you think war will return to BiH?
I can only hope that war will never return to BiH. There is no winner in the war and I
hope everybody will understand that.
 15) What do you think the future of BiH will be?
Future of BiH should be youth of this country. Young educated people who are not poisoned with nationalism and hatred. Youth who are ready to build our mutual and beautiful country called Bosnia-Herzegovina as place for all people who live in it. I can only hope that this younger generation will be better than their parents and grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment