Tuesday, February 21, 2012

(41) Bosnia twenty years later a story from Gorazde

(News article on Gorazde from 1993)
1) Do you remember where were you when you realized the war was imminent? What town and what location in the town?

I lived in Gorazde at the time, but am originally form Foca,Eastern Bosnia.

2) Do you remember where you were when the war broke out, Specifically?

I was at my place, watching TV reports from demonstrations in Sarajevo.There were tensions months before the actual demonstrations.Then we heard the awful news about barricades in Foca.

3) Where were you when the war came to your town? Were you at home, relatives, friends, work?

I was at home, but left soon as we didn't have a basement and I felt unsafe having nowhere to escape.I went to my friend's place, then stayed at my uncle's house until we left the country.

4) The most memorable event of the war for you was?

Two of them actually: there was a shooting in Gorazde in the middle of the night, grenades were flying around, loud explosions could be heard but my 3 year old daughter was innocently sleeping through it all.I'll never forget her peaceful little face and my enormous fear thinking what is going to happen to us...Second one was when my mum told me on the phone that my father was taken to Concentration camp in Foca.

5) What made you hopeless during the war?

All the suffering and killing of innocent people and the whole Europe and the world watching it for such a long time and not doing anything about it.It could all end quickly if they only bothered to help immediately.

6) What gave you hope during the war?

Strength and resilience of our proud nation.Youth that fought fearlessly for our country, sacrificing their lives for better tomorrow.

7) Did you lose anyone close to you during the war?

I lost one of my dearest friends.She was in Bosnian army and I've heard she was a fearless fighter.Grenade fell on her and shredded her body into thousands of little pieces...

Were you wounded during the war? Where were you wounded? Anyone close to you wounded?

My mother's brother was wounded three times, but thankfully recovered.

9) Your biggest loss during the war was?

Lost my friends, my family, my beautiful town Foca, lost myself somewhere along the way...

10) What was the hardest part about the war?

Missing my parents, knowing that my father was imprisoned in one of the most terrible concentration camps in the country.Knowing that mum was alone in our flat, and inability to help her was killing me.

11) Did you leave the country during the war?

I left at the end of April '92.Experienced enough fear and war to know even then that I will never return again...

12) 20 years later, what do you think of what happened?

It was a bloody, cruel war..I can't forgive or forget.Many did and even go to our home town for coffee or lunch and renew friendships with those that tried to wipe us of the planet Earth. I never did and I never will.Thats not my Foca, not the town that I grew up in...

13) Are things better or worse than what you expected 20 years later?

Much worse from what I hear.It will take many more years to return to normal life, if ever...

14) Do you think war will return to BiH?

Anything is possible...

15) What do you think the future of BiH will be?

Bosnia and Hercegovina always was and always will be...It requires a bit more hard work and a lot less corruption to make their future brighter.Government should consist of smart and prosperous people that will lead the country towards better life.

As for me I am the citizen of another country now and far enough not to worry about any wars. There is an old proverb that says"If you haven't got what you love then love what you've got".I say yes to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment