Saturday, January 14, 2012

(14) Bosnia twenty years later a story of Mostar and Human Shields

(Mostar in war)
1) Do you remember were you were when you realized the war was
imminent?

Yes I have been in Germany where I lived but honestly my minds have
been in BIH since latest after the happenings in Croatia I was aware
that Bosnia-H. will be next. I have been subscribed to a official Army
bulletin that has been distributed to yugoslav embassies and affiliated
staff like teachers of so called "dopunska skola". I noticed that
Croatian kids didn t attend the school anymore and those I met outside
have been heavily These bulletins have been dealing about army
activities and so called volunteers who described their fight against
Croatian ZNG. They tried to present the fighting against
Yugoslav against Ustasha forces. The cousin of a very good friend of
mine deserted during these fighting and told me about massive war
crimes and the spirit among the "Yugoslav" troops.
Later my uncle called me from Sarajevo while it was blocked. I wondered
that I had far more information's than him being in Sarajevo..


2) Do you remember were you were when the war broke out?

I have been all the time in Germany and after Chetnik forces occupied
Bijeljina and Zvornik I thought that there have been really fighting
of two opposing forces. Later I realized that civilians have been
hunted down like on a Safari and that only one party has prepared for
fighting.

3) Where were you when the war came to your town?

When the war came to Mostar I have been in Germany. My family has been
there and it started quite strange. They told me that the town is
overcrowded by "rezervisti" who are sitting in pubs and terrifying the
civilians. Then I heard nothing but reports that there are violent
fighting. After only a couple of days I received again information
claiming that my Serb neighbours died during these fights and that
my home village has been theater of a massacre against Bosniaks. Serb
houses have been burnt by advancing HVO troops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdVRGWDWWw&list=UUbn7VPXvEUXEwFlpSmSeQXw&index=4&feature=plcp

The latter attack of HVO against Bosniaks has been much more painful
and I was much more aware of the events.



4) The most memorable event of the war for you was?

There are so many things that I will remember forever. The heavy injury
of my uncle, the detention of my cousins and uncles by HVO, .... .But
looking back I would say the release of my uncle Salko from the HVO
concentration camp in Dretelj has been the most emotional moment for my
family.First I couldn't recognize him since he looked like a victim in
Auschwitz but when we took a closer look we recognized him and started
to cry.
But actually it s so hard to say since there are so many things that I
will tell my children and their children.

5) What made you hopeless during the war?

The most discouraging have been the broken promises and becoming aware
that the western world didn't give us the possibility to at least
defend ourselves. Every morning after a resolution aimed to lift the
embargo had been discussed in UN I heard about vetoes of France ,
Russia, and UK and the slaughter continued. Everybody could see that
we have been fighting not only for survival but also for the very very
original human values that are so often linked to the free western
world.The home of the free and the brave at this time has not been in
US but in Sarajevo, Gorazde....Sometimes I was close to lose all my
hopes while watching young soldiers with lillies on their uniforms
lying in bloody trenches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSAcSsormd8


 6) What gave you hope during the war?

Every single success of our troops and every day we survived gave me
some hope. I knew we are fighting for living together no matter of race
and religion and one day the truth will prevail.




7) Did you lose anyone close to you during the war?

Yes I lost my cousin, he was used as a human shield by the HVO in Mostar. His brother
survived, he was next to him. He survived by a miracle, but was extremely
wounded.


8) Were you wounded during the war?

No since I have been in Germany I have not been exposed to fighting
activities but I don t think that my family has picked up severe
psychological damage.

9) Your biggest loss during the war was?

It s not been a careless youth and of course and injustice doesn't
leave equal loss.I think I became though a critical and very aware person.


10) What was the hardest part about the war?

The lack of information about my relatives has been the hardest part.
We sent lots of money and goods to BIH but we felt this not being
enough.


11) Did you leave the country during the war?

I have not been there. I stayed in Germany, but my extended family was in Mostar.


12) 20 years later, what do you think of what happened?

I think it is not over yet since the ideology that initiated the war has
remained undefeated and even more, rewarded by recognition of the
results. The victims have not received justice, the war criminals have
largely not been sentenced or sentenced to ridiculous verdicts.
Instead of one universal truth international community and many Bosnian
and Bosniak politicians allowed three truths to exist which will make
it impossible to find truth and forgive.
Many ideals died sacrificed on the altar of individual interests of
today's Bosnian "elite". Many of those who gave everything for a "Bosna"
in the true sense of word have lost their health and their lives and
are depending now of solidarity of their compatriots. After the war we
see that the wounds they inflicted to us are far serious than we thought
they would be. Today there is no solidarity, no mercy and I think many
persons would wish back the old times.


13) Are things better or worse than what you expected 20 years later?

I think the things are on the first glance better. No shootings, no
grenades... but on the first glance I think there is less hope to get a
Bosnian society that will provide equal chances and living quality to
all.


14) Do you think war will return to BiH?

I think everything is possible. The nationalist parties of Croatians
and Serbs are pursuing their aims of tearing Bosnia apart. Bosniaks do
not have a second home so if it continues that way everything is
possible.



15) What do you think the future of BiH will be?

Its hard to say. It doesn't depend on its own. It s more a small pawn
on the chessboard of international diplomacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment